Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Umbrellas vs. Fedoras (or, Can You Tell It Rained Today?)

I don't like umbrellas one bit.

The rain? Totally fine. I don't mind walking in it at all (with the caveat that if it's torrential, I know about it in time to plan accordingly). If it's a moderate amount, I might wear a fedora. A heavy downpour, and I'll wear rain pants and a jacket.

Five reasons why I don't use umbrellas:

  1. They're awkward to hold if you're carrying other things.
  2. They're lightning rods.
  3. The wind blows them out of your grasp.
  4. They're easy to forget.
  5. Those little plastic tips on the end of the metal rods, they get detached from the fabric that they stretch taut, reducing the effective area of shelter.
In short, to me, they're a bigger pain than they're worth.

Although, I do think that these ones at least look cool.

No comments: