Monday, July 30, 2007

Foodstuffs

This past week or so has been a roller coaster of food quality:

Tiffin is amazing. This Indian food is delicious, they don't use trans fats, they deliver to our house, and they mix up the menu every month with different specials. Anyone who knows me well knows I love a menu with a bunch of unique dishes. If you find yourself in Philadelphia, you must find your way to 710 West Girard (especially if you're vegetarian).

New China has been our reliable local Chinese food delivery restaurant for almost two years. It has recently rescinded its duties by delivering a few meals that... weren't very good. I could understand if it was just the ma po tofu that was mediocre (and pretty bland, considering that they said they'd make it extra spicy), but the beef ho fun wasn't good either (and I thought it was near impossible to mess up). I'm now on the lookout for another local Chinese restaurant (suggestions are very much welcome).

Voila!
meals are pretty damn good, considering that they start frozen in a bag, take about two minutes of prep, and are ready in ten minutes. I thought they would be a little boring, but they're not. Bits that should be moist are moist, pieces that should be crisp are crisp. Nom, nom, nom.

Wawa was recently written up at uwishunu. When I first heard the name about five years ago it was charmingly perplexing, when I was introduced to the first of many products (the 'Magnum' — a 44 ounce/1.3 liter cup whose intended use is to hold that much soda and ice) I was somewhat taken aback by the American egregiousness of it. Since then, I have grown to love Wawa. Not for its cups of soda as large as my head, but for its hoagies and salads made-to-order, its coffee, and its macaroni and cheese. I am a particular fan of the computerized made-to-order ordering system. The name, interestingly enough, is Ojibwe for Canada goose.

No comments: